Summer is here. School is out. It’s time to relax a little.
But with summer comes the “I’m bored.” Several years ago, I created a book/binder for my son filled with ideas, inspiration, how-to’s, anything that came to mind to stop the words “I’m bored” ever being uttered out of his precious mouth. The book was a huge success so I decided to update and expand it.
My goal was not to tell him what to do, but rather to inspire him to make, to do, to try, etc.
Here are some possible ideas to include:
1. Reminding them about toys/kits that are in their closet.
2. Pinterest has a wealth of ideas for projects/art – zentangles, cork art, recycled art, string art, paint techniques, duct tape creations, rainbow loom creatures, fuse beads
(perler beads) patterns, bubbles
3. Websites with great projects:
- King of Random on you tube – great science projects
4. Try new things – make a comic, play in Garage Band, Art Rage, Sketch Up, Scratch Programming, learn Adobe Photoshop, Khan Academy, Geocaching, learn coding at www.code.org, learn to play solitaire, Pokemon or Magic the Gathering, a random act of kindness
5. Learn – about an animal, a place you want to go, a time in history, Harry Potter spells
There are so many ideas you can put in a book like this – it is limitless.
Here is a little of what Harry’s Book of Summer Fun looks like:
Added tabs for items with more information or photos.
How to make a Zentangle. (doodling)
Something a little different with doodling.
Examples of what to do with old trash and broken branches.
Reminding my son about the cool stuff in his closet.
Yes, even Minecraft but with challenges!!
Admitting the embarrassing amount of corks my son insists on collecting.
Combining recycled objects and robots.
And here is Harry already creating from his new book. He has already admitted there is no way that there is enough time to create, discover, learn all the fun stuff in the next 3 months.
How in the world do you have time to create a book like this? I would like one please!! You amaze me at your talent!
DO YOU SLEEP?!?! Amazing!!! I will have to do something like this on a smaller scale next year!!!
I wish I’d known about your website when summer started! Thank you for sharing your ideas!